Content development, Customer advocacy, Design thinking, Problem solving, Project management, Topic authoring, Training DITA/XML, Illustrator, Markdown, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, Oxygen XML, Photoshop, SDL, and XMetaL.
Senior Technical Writer
Poly, Austin, TX - 10/2019 - Present
Document Prime for Poly CCX business media phones.
- Key member of the Information Architecture Team.
- Drive task-based authoring initiative.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Houston, TX — 9/2014 – Present
Content developer focused on the HPE ProLiant DL385 AMD-based server and HPE’s composable infrastructure product, HPE Synergy. Work with program managers, engineers, learning and development, and marketing to plan, author, and deliver technical information.
- Key member of the Information Architecture team evaluating and defining HPE DITA/XML standards.
- Serve on a documentation quality team evaluating support cases for opportunities to enhance technical content.
- Provide training and support to new hires and contingent workers on the use of content and graphics creation tools.
- Received positive customer feedback for creating a suite of interactive firmware tools using DITA/XML and JQuery.
- Assisted in migrating HPE knowledge management to a single DITA XML based content management system.
- Created an augmented reality template tool to address cabling and air flow issues in rack servers.
- Awarded multiple HPE All Star awards for innovation and collaboration.
Texas Learning & Computational Center (UH), Houston, TX —11/2010 to 4/2014
Part-time position concurrent with full-time study of industrial design. Support communications manager in creating t-shirts, posters, banners, event collateral, and social media broadcasts. Responsible for maintaining research poster printing service available to all University of Houston students. Generate center usage reports and calculate costs for materials and services.
- Created community outreach collateral for non-profit research staff.
- Designed promotional and learning materials for the annual Mars Rover Celebration STEM event.
- Delivered a competitive analysis study supporting additional funding and expansion of the center.
Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts — 3/2009 to 1/2010
Responsible for state warrant (check) distributions, stock inventory, and agency requests. In a high-security environment. Managed state warrant stock levels and orders ensuring gapless payments from the State of Texas to agencies and payees.
- Created a database to streamline the distribution of payee letters.
- Enhanced management of warrant (check) stock utilizing Excel automation.
Document Service Manager
Guy Carpenter & Company, New York, NY — 8/2003 to 11/2008
Managed a team of sixteen associates in multiple locations performing back-office functions including: print, mail, records, and imaging. Responsible for vendor management including negotiating and managing equipment leases and service contracts.
- Enhanced services and quality by cross-training staff and funding personal development initiatives.
- Reduced yearly department budget by $300k through negotiating copier leases and print costs.
- Negotiated mail service contracts reducing costs by 15% while improving service offerings.
- BA English
- BS Industrial Design
Some tools I use or am familiar with
- SDL (our current authoring database)
- XMetaL (our current authoring tool)
- Oxygen (I currently use Oxygen for testing)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)